1. Elon Musk’s $2 billion bet: Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, made a $2 billion wager on Twitter in March that if the city of Las Vegas built a tunnel system, he would cover the cost in just one year.
2. A $1 million bet on Bitcoin: In January, an anonymous investor placed a $1 million bet that Bitcoin’s price would reach $50,000 by the end of the year. If successful, the bettor would win $1.5 million.
3. A $1 million Super Bowl bet: In February, a wealthy bettor placed a $1 million wager on the Super Bowl, betting on the Kansas City Chiefs to win against the San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs won, allowing the bettor to double their money.
4. A $200,000 wager on the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election: In October, a bettor placed a $200,000 bet on Joe Biden winning the presidential election, with odds of 1/3. Biden won, allowing the bettor to collect their winnings.
5. A $100,000 bet on a COVID-19 vaccine: In July, a British gambler placed a £100,000 ($130,000) wager that a COVID-19 vaccine would be available before the end of the year. The bettor won the bet when vaccines were authorized and distributed worldwide.
6. A £500,000 bet on the existence of aliens: In May, a British businessman placed a £500,000 bet that evidence of extraterrestrial life would be found by the end of the year. Unfortunately for the bettor, no such evidence has been presented yet.
7. A $50,000 wager on a 2020 Presidential Election conspiracy theory: In November, a person placed a $50,000 bet that Donald Trump would be declared the winner of the 2020 election due to a conspiracy theory. As the theory was debunked, the bettor lost their wager.
8. A £10,000 bet on a white Christmas in the UK: Every year, many people place bets on whether it will snow on Christmas Day in the United Kingdom. In 2020, someone bet £10,000 that it would snow in London. However, Christmas turned out to be rainy, resulting in a lost bet.
9. A $5,000 bet on the stock market hitting record highs: In March, amid the initial stock market crash due to the COVID-19 pandemic, someone bet $5,000 that the market would rebound and reach record highs by the end of the year. The market did recover, and the bettor earned a sizable return.
10. A $1,000 wager on a new Royal Baby: In April, a person placed a $1,000 bet on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Harry and Meghan, announcing the birth of a new baby by the end of the year. This turned out to be true, as they welcomed their second child in June, giving the bettor a winning wager.